Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slammin' Sam

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    2/2

Slammin' Sam

Just watched the doco on Sam and his family on Fox Sports. Great doco - one of the best I've ever seen. His brothers and their mother come out of the story so as a wonderful family. But most special was the love for Sam's father Mark and Sam's utter devotion to him and his welfare. Russell said that Mark's membership is renewed by him each year and he keeps the seat next to him in the box in his memory. All in all a great story.

Be interested to see the reaction of others who got to see it.

One certainty that emerges from it is that Sam would not consider playing for another club.

One clarification was his contract was for much less money than he was getting in the UK. So when we try to guess our players income we will probably be way off the park.

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    0/0

Re: Slammin' Sammy

Quote Originally Posted by Rab13 View Post
    Great doco - one of the best I've ever seen.
    Doco or hagiography?

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    0/0

Didn't see it, but RFK, did , unfortunately.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RedfernKing View Post
    Doco or hagiography?
    Mr Negative. No sorry, that's Liver, your second.

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    0/0

Just watched doco... Absolutely loved it. Sammy loves the club he won't go anywhere and will keep his family with him
    Good foundation for the club to build on.. Gives me new found hope after dissapointment of missing out this year.
    Need to bring the best players around these boys so they can achieve what they so badly want... Success at Souths!!!!

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    0/0

When's it in stores?

Edit: Nevermind. I just checked.. the 11th of October

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    0/0

Doco or hagiography?
    Hagiography right on the mark for once

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    0/0

Just watched the doco on Sam and his family on Fox Sports. Great doco - one of the best I've ever seen. His brothers and their mother come out of the story so as a wonderful family. But most special was the love for Sam's father Mark and Sam's utter devotion to him and his welfare. Russell said that Mark's membership is renewed by him each year and he keeps the seat next to him in the box in his memory. All in all a great story.

Be interested to see the reaction of others who got to see it.

One certainty that emerges from it is that Sam would not consider playing for another club.

One clarification was his contract was for much less money than he was getting in the UK. So when we try to guess our players income we will probably be way off the park.
    Yes and the Easter a Bunny and Santa will be visiting you this year.

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    2/2

Quote Originally Posted by OutsideCentre View Post
    Hagiography right on the mark for once
    Not strange that you and RFK are the only two on this site and on The Pride that are sarcastic and negative. No surprise there.

I'm sure that if any other poster put up my comments you both would have lauded the show as others do. Anyone who can see the story of how a son cared for his father dying of motor neurone disease, carrying him in his arms to the football etc. and be dismissive and sarcastic as you two are is less than human.

And RFK wanted George Burgess deported so that says a lot about his state of mind.

And OutsideCentre wants the NRL and police to fine fans for booing at games. His state of mind is clearly dysfunctional also.

And you do not understand the meaning of hagiography: "the writing and critical study of the lives of the saints". Tell me where in the doco did this occur?

Oh right, you never watched it!! But you can = it is on tomorrow at 10.30am on Fox Sports 1.
    Last edited by Rab13; Sat, Oct 05, 2013 at 08:16.

Senior Member OscarWinningRabbit's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    0/0

Doco or hagiography?
    Has Sam been canonised?

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    0/0

The big point for me is he is only 24, the twins 20 and Luke 26.
    Its only their 1st year at Souths as a group and the best is yet to come.
    Can't wait

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    0/0

And OutsideCentre wants the NRL and police to fine fans for booing at games. His state of mind is clearly dysfunctional also.

Where did I write this? You are one crazy dude.

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    2/2

What you said in the Referees thread, post #2:

'I reckon they should also fine the commentators when they get the rules wrong and also fans who also are notorious for booing and trying to get the refs to make home town decisions.'

You got dementia already?

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    0/0

I think rab13 is getting you mixed up with that trouble maker union lovin' poster "RahRahCentre".

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    0/0

lololol

'I reckon they should also fine the commentators when they get the rules wrong and also fans who also are notorious for booing and trying to get the refs to make home town decisions.'

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    0/0

And you do not understand the meaning of hagiography: "the writing and critical study of the lives of the saints". Tell me where in the doco did this occur?

Oh right, you never watched it!! But you can = it is on tomorrow at 10.30am on Fox Sports 1.
    You really are a simple man. I shouldn't give you a hard time in the interests of fair play.
    It was really good that you could dive in and get a definition of hagiography straight from the Internet. A god fearing man such as yourself would immediately attach yourself to the old religious meaning of the term. Of course citizens of the 21st century know exactly what hagiography means in the contemporary context.
    If slammin Sam was the best documentary you have ever seen, you really need to broaden your horizons. You might start with 'the filth and the fury' or 'when we were kings', but you might find the subject matter of those films a little challenging.
    Slammin Sam did indeed have some good moments. However it needed to be cut by 30 minutes and some of the over the top narration needed heavy editing. At the end of the day he is very talented footballer who did some amazing things for his father. Nice bloke, decent family. Not a saint.

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    0/0

So where did I write I wanted Police to fine fans? You are just lying as per usual

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    2/2

You really are a simple man. I shouldn't give you a hard time in the interests of fair play.
    It was really good that you could dive in and get a definition of hagiography straight from the Internet. A god fearing man such as yourself would immediately attach yourself to the old religious meaning of the term. Of course citizens of the 21st century know exactly what hagiography means in the contemporary context.
    If slammin Sam was the best documentary you have ever seen, you really need to broaden your horizons. You might start with 'the filth and the fury' or 'when we were kings', but you might find the subject matter of those films a little challenging.
    Slammin Sam did indeed have some good moments. However it needed to be cut by 30 minutes and some of the over the top narration needed heavy editing. At the end of the day he is very talented footballer who did some amazing things for his father. Nice bloke, decent family. Not a saint.
    You are such a silly troll. My definition of hagiography came from the Macquarie dictionary. Where does yours come from? Oh, I see - the internet!!

As to your other comments - what do those shows have to do with Sam Burgess? You need to find a new reality.

And as to a saint: It was you who suggested Sam must be by the use of the word hagiography.

- - - Updated - - -

So where did I write I wanted Police to fine fans? You are just lying as per usual
    Who but the police have the authority to do so? If not, then who did you mean? And why should they? Your whole idea is stupid.

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    0/0

Hagiography can mean either the written-up story of a saint's life, or any revisionist kind of biography that paints the subject in a positive light.

It gets its secular meaning from the idea that the lives of the saints were glowing, revisionist histories, without the warts-and-all. If you like, you can think of the secular meaning as using the saintly biographies as a metaphor.

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    0/0

Who but the police have the authority to do so? If not, then who did you mean? And why should they? Your whole idea is stupid.
    I know I am going to have to keep this very simple so you can try to understand, but my post was a response to a ridiculous idea of fining referees for making mistakes in games, yes the idea of fining fans by the NRL was as ridiculous as fining fans , I was being sarcastic.

That you try to add to the idea by suggesting police should be involved in fining fans for booing shows what a goose you are , police don't have the authority to fine fans for booing.

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    2/2

I know I am going to have to keep this very simple so you can try to understand, but my post was a response to a ridiculous idea of fining referees for making mistakes in games, yes the idea of fining fans by the NRL was as ridiculous as fining fans , I was being sarcastic.

That you try to add to the idea by suggesting police should be involved in fining fans for booing shows what a goose you are , police don't have the authority to fine fans for booing.
    Yes, your original post was sarcastic and immature as well. Your response is the same.

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    0/0

Great docco! Wonderful insight and emotional stuff with his dad's passing.

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    0/0

Gees your stupid so you think Police have the authority to fine fans for booing at games, you are just an idiot.

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    0/0

Mate you could never keep it simple enough for Rab13 to understand anything, dont waste your time.

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    3/3

Good view. Wife really enjoyed it. It was a documentary about the 4 brothers making their first game in FG rather than a pure Sam show

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    0/0

Quote Originally Posted by Siv View Post
    Good view. Wife really enjoyed it. It was a documentary about the 4 brothers making their first game in FG rather than a pure Sam show
    Trouble was it seemed to be a documentary about Sam with the 4 bros making their first game together in the NRL tacked onto it. It was really poorly put together and about 30mins long would have made it a better show. Australian Story format makes a much better story and the program would have been better if they had followed that format. the contributions by Shane and Mario were a waste of time and should have been edited out, they said nothing and added nil to the story.

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    0/0

TBH I thought it followed the same format that fox sports have been doing this year profiling Aus sports stars. E.g GI, Thurston, farrah then our cricketers, netballers, swimmers & athletes.

The Burgess story is warm and fuzzy "inspirational" mmmmm no. Would I buy it no.

Princess Dianas doc has more relevant content. people who are inspiring are Nelson Mandella, Muhammad Ali, Floyd Mayweather, Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods the list is endless.

DO I class Sam Burgess in this category? MMMM no.

Give me a doco on rugby leagues book of feuds. That I would buy.

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    2/2

Quote Originally Posted by Eratosthenes View Post
    Gees your stupid so you think Police have the authority to fine fans for booing at games, you are just an idiot.
    You comment should be addressed to Outsidecentre as he is the one who suggested booing be fined. Get your facts right - idiot.

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    0/0

Quote Originally Posted by Eratosthenes View Post
    Australian Story format makes a much better story and the program would have been better if they had followed that format.
    Australian story should be retitled Australian hagiography.
    They made ray Hadley look like a decent bloke a few months ago and then did a softy on Clive palmer on Monday night.
    I think they are trying a little revisionism with hitler and Stalin next

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    0/0

You comment should be addressed to Outsidecentre as he is the one who suggested booing be fined. Get your facts right - idiot.
    You are a very angry man.
    Calm down please.

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    0/0

Quote Originally Posted by FootyDiva View Post

The Burgess story is warm and fuzzy "inspirational" mmmmm no.

Correct.
    Great documentaries have moments of light and shade. Slammin Sam was a warm and fuzzy story, nothing more.
    Had it looked more closely at his relationship with his father, the opportunity would have existed to develop the light and shade. As it was it was a harmless, but ultimately lightweight piece of film making.
    If that is one of the best documentaries rab13 has ever seen, I pity his life.

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    0/0

You are such a silly troll. My definition of hagiography came from the Macquarie dictionary. Where does yours come from? Oh, I see - the internet!!
    How pathetic that you had to look in a dictionary to find the meaning of hagiography. Even then you still can't get it right.
    The world left you behind way back when the DLP split from Labor. You're probably still looking for reds under your bed at this very moment.

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    0/0

Your the idiot who suggested the police could fine fans for booing

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    3/3

Quote Originally Posted by FootyDiva View Post
    people who are inspiring are Nelson Mandella, Muhammad Ali, Floyd Mayweather, Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods the list is endless.
    Tiger Woods an inspirer? If sleazebags are inspiring, I suppose he is. I don't think many women would agree though. How about Fred Hollows, Weary Dunlop, Nancy Wake, Douglas Bader...

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    0/0

I can certainly see how some can draw inspiration from Sam's story. His commitment, work ethic, family values, and ability to overcome the adversity that he and his brother have is inspiration in itself.

I enjoyed the doco. Wasn't really interesting as it didn't really show us (Souths fans) anything we didn't already know, but Seeing the Burgess' journey and how happy and close theybare made me smile. A nice little feel good story.

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    0/0

Quote Originally Posted by Second Row View Post
    Tiger Woods an inspirer? If sleazebags are inspiring, I suppose he is. I don't think many women would agree though. How about Fred Hollows, Weary Dunlop, Nancy Wake, Douglas Bader...
    Ron Jeremy...

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    2/2

Correct.
    Great documentaries have moments of light and shade. Slammin Sam was a warm and fuzzy story, nothing more.
    Had it looked more closely at his relationship with his father, the opportunity would have existed to develop the light and shade. As it was it was a harmless, but ultimately lightweight piece of film making.
    If that is one of the best documentaries rab13 has ever seen, I pity his life.
    More would pity you for your total negativity towards South Sydney players. You long for Norm Strong and Ross McKinnon to come back to the field and play for Norths again.. So far are you stuck in the past.

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    0/0

More would pity you for your total negativity towards South Sydney players. You long for Norm Strong and Ross McKinnon to come back to the field and play for Norths again.. So far are you stuck in the past.
    No negativity towards the players, just a much greater intellect than yours judging by what you consider to be a good documentary.

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    0/0

Nice to see that the doco brotherhood theme has trickled down to the thread participants

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    0/0

Quote Originally Posted by Second Row View Post
    Haha fair call...was a bit of a typo I couldn't be assed going back and deleting.

I liked tiger as a golfer not the husband. Then again you have confessed sleaze bags and drug users like the scandalous John's brothers and we immortalize joey?

vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked/Posts
    Thanks
    0/0

Rab13, I just watched the replay and I found exactly as you did and would recommend the Double CD version when it is released to one and all.

PS. You waste your time talking to IDIOTS about something they would not have any interest in because it does not involve North Sydney and it does mention God, Al Beit, very briefly.
    THIS I BELIEVE

Thread Participants: 37